Jan 3, 2016

The Secret Life of a Book Blogger


My girl Stephanie from No BS Book Reviews (or, NOBS) tagged me to do this post and since it looks kinda fun ... Why not?


1. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A BLOGGER?

It will be 5 years in February (I started February of 2011)

2. AT WHAT POINT DO YOU THINK YOU’LL STOP BLOGGING?

Ha. Funny you should mention that ....

Honestly, when it stops being fun. 

3. WHAT IS THE BEST THING ABOUT BLOGGING?

-Networking: I have met so many people through blogging. I've met my YADC friends who have rallied whenever I had a crazy ideas (and trust me, there have been many crazy ideas). These ladies never fail to support, inspire and amaze me. 


I've also met some amazing publicists who have become great friends outside of blogging. These people have taken the time to teach me so much about the industry that has always fascinated me.

I've also been fortunate enough to become friends with a lot of authors. It still blows me away when people know who I am.

-Events: I've been able to attend BEA for 4 years, ALA, ALA MW, New York Comic Con, and NCTE. And those are just the conferences. There are a ton of local(ish) signings in DC I've been able to go to as well! Heck, I was just at an event yesterday (Brigid Kemmerer's launch for Thicker Than Water).

-Books: Let's not even lie; every time the UPS man arrives at my house, I do a happy dance (and not just because he looks really good in his little brown shorts). Blogging has introduced me to so many books and authors I would have otherwise overlooked and/or missed.

4. WHAT IS THE WORST THING? WHAT DO YOU DO TO MAKE IT OKAY? 

There is so much pressure to be "on" all the time - have fresh, original content. Be unique, Review. Promote. Rise. Repeat. It gets exhausting and overwhelming. I frequently have to take a step back and shrug it off and remind myself that this is supposed to be fun.

5. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE YOU TO CREATE/FIND PICTURES TO USE?

I guess it depends. I have a stable of GIFs I use for posts, but to make a tour banner or another graphic? Roughly 30 mins. 

6. WHO IS YOUR BOOK CRUSH?

Characters:

#1 Book Boyfriend: Brendan from Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz. Nearly 5 years later and I am still hung up on this guy. Every time I re-read this book, I'm like:


Honorable Mentions: Oliver from Emmy & Oliver, Garrett from The Deal, Cade from Caged In Winter, Jeth from Avalon, Kyler from Frigid, Pike from Call On Me, Gray from Sweet Surrender

Author:

I beyond love this woman, her books, and her heart. She is my ultimate author crush.



7. WHAT AUTHOR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE ON YOUR BLOG?

Maya Banks. She is just .... She's Maya frickin' Banks. 

8. WHAT DO YOU WEAR WHEN YOU WRITE YOUR BLOG POSTS?

Typically these super soft, super comfy gray yoga pants I have. They're so comfy. I'm wearing them now. 



9. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE YOU TO PREPARE?

For work? Depends - am I doing full face makeup? Hair? Because like an hour.

OH! You mean a blog post? I'd say on average 30 minutes.

10. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE BOOK BLOGGER COMMUNITY?

I'm a little partial to book bloggers. I think we have some of the most innovative, creative, dedicated and passionate people in the world in our community. 

11. WHAT DO YOU THINK ONE SHOULD DO TO GET A SUCCESSFUL BLOG?

Be Yourself: Don't ever try to be what you think people want you to be. Be the best you that you can be. And always remember: You're enough. 


Have Fun: This is supposed to be a hobby - you know, fun. Enjoy it. Don't take it too seriously. If it ever stops being fun, walk away. Life is too short for you to do things you hate (that's what work is for).


It's YOUR Blog: If you want to write a random post about how ever other Tuesday your goldfish swims counterclockwise in his bowl, then do it. Never feel pressured or obligated to do what others want you to do on your blog. 99% of us don't get paid for this, so you owe nothing to no one except yourself.


You Only Get What You Give: If you want followers, start following others. If you want ARCs, start reviewing whatever you can get your hands on. There is yet to be a "Magic Blogger Plug-In" that suddenly grants you auto approval to every NetGalley title, ARC mailing list, and bestows thousands of followers to all your social media platforms. If you want all that, then you work for it.


And my last bit of advice ....



Now I tag:





3 comments:

  1. http://google.ning.com/story/ageless-body-system-free-ebook-review

    Find out when was first x-ray machine invented and how this radio imaging device has developed over the years to change the course of medical history. The first successful ultrasound took place in the year 1947, several years after the discovery of X rays.

    http://nomorefakereviews.ning.com/articles/rome-barassam-s-ageless-body-system-ebook-review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah! Lovely gal, I adore this post. Your advice is spot-on. Do what's fun. This is a hobby, after all. An awesome one but a hobby. :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!