May 18, 2015

Review: Hold Me Like A Breath by Tiffany Schmidt

Title: Hold Me Like A Breath
Author: Tiffany Schmidt
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: 5.19.2015
Pages: 400
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian, Romance
Series: Once Upon A Crime Family #1
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: 4 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Penelope Landlow has grown up with the knowledge that almost anything can be bought or sold—including body parts. She’s the daughter of one of the three crime families that control the black market for organ transplants.

Penelope’s surrounded by all the suffocating privilege and protection her family can provide, but they can't protect her from the autoimmune disorder that causes her to bruise so easily.

And in her family's line of work no one can be safe forever.

All Penelope has ever wanted is freedom and independence. But when she’s caught in the crossfire as rival families scramble for prominence, she learns that her wishes come with casualties, that betrayal hurts worse than bruises, that love is a risk worth taking . . . and maybe she’s not as fragile as everyone thinks.

Review:
I have to admit I'm struggling with this book. I'm not sure what I expected when I started HOLD ME LIKE A BREATH, but it wasn't this. Tiffany Schmidt took me on a journey and I don't know if I want to commend her ... or shake her.

Let's go with what worked:
Pen. Penelope was such a fun character to read over all. Her growth and journey during this story is a thing of beauty. My heart ached for her when she was constantly wrapped in cotton to keep from breaking. Her frustration bled off the pages. I couldn't help but root for her.

Also? Schmidt has a beautiful way of writing that utterly captivates and enthralls a reader. I love when she puts a story to life.

What didn't work:
The romance. Pen's biggest flaw is how fast she switched from one guy to the next., especially after only knowing one for a handful of minutes. What's faster than insta-love?

Maybe I’m just sore the guy I was rooting for didn't win. Could be I have a case of sour grapes that tainted the love story aspect of this story for me and others will have no problem with it. Whatever it was, it didn’t work for me but it also didn’t detract from the inherent awesome of the overall story.


Regardless, it is still a book I don't regret reading. I think people are going to love it, and the world Schmidt crafts is one in the not-too-distant future that you can almost (scarily) see taking shape now. It's a compelling start to a new series.
Buy: Hold Me Like a Breath

2 comments:

  1. I had a hard time with the start of this book and some of the pacing but overall I loved it--especially as I've had more time to think about it. Then again, the guy I was rooting for did end up winning. I think for me though I'm such a sucker for fairytale retellings that this one was going to be a win regardless

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book could have easily been riddled with content that might make some question whether it's appropriate for younger teens. It isn't, though- the story doesn't need graphic description or excessive foul language. I appreciate that Schmidt resists the temptation to go for the shock factor, and focuses on telling a great tale. I'm certainly looking forward to her next.

    Mariz
    Visit us Top Georgetown Tow Truck company

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!