Oct 8, 2013

Review: Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles

Title: Wild Cards
Author: Simone Elkeles
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: 9.24.2013
Pages: 352
Genre: Contemporary, Sports
Series: Wild Cards #1
Source: ARC from BEA

Rating: C+

Summary (from Goodreads):
After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek’s counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else’s family drama.

Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain--people you care about leave without a backward glance. A football scholarship would finally give her the chance to leave. So she pours everything into winning a state championship, until her boyfriend and star quarterback betrays them all by joining their rival team. Ashtyn needs a new game plan, but it requires trusting Derek—someone she barely knows, someone born to break the rules. Is she willing to put her heart on the line to try and win it all?

Review:
You might have seen the way I was raving about needing this book at BEA this past year. I was all over the place, freaking out and making a general fool of myself because I was so excited. I am a huge fan of Simone Elkeles’ Perfect Chemistry series. When I saw she was doing a football series I about lost my mind.

But then I got a copy. And then I read it. And then I was really kind of disappointed.

It’s hard to get into a romance when you strongly dislike half of the couple. Derek I liked. I liked his snark, his wit, and the way he simply is. It was Ashtyn I had a harder time getting into. She seemed too girly and, at times, weak to be the leader of a football team.  She also could never seem to make up her mind which left me endlessly frustrated. Their romance felt so rushed because for a large chunk of the book, Ashytn was in love with another guy.

It might sound like I hated this book, but I see the potential for future books in this series. I think Elkeles laid the ground work for the future books, introducing a bunch of characters in Wild Cards that I’m sure will get their own tale. Despite my issues with Ashtyn and her relationship with Derek, I truly feel like this is just the beginning and this series will only get better.


Buy: Amazon

2 comments:

  1. AW!! I seriously hate when that happens. There were a couple of BEA books that I was desperate to get and then...meh. You're right. It's hard to love a book when you don't really like half the couple. I need to read this to see for myself, now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad, I'm really looking forward to this one. I think I'll still read it :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!