Jun 10, 2013

Review: The Ward by Jordana Frankel

Title: The Ward
Author: Jordana Frankel
Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Publication Date: 4.30.2013
Pages: 465
Genre: Dystopian
Series: The Ward #1
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: A

Summary (from Goodreads):
Sixteen-year-old Ren is a daredevil mobile racer who will risk everything to survive in the Ward, what remains of a water-logged Manhattan. To save her sister, who is suffering from a deadly illness thought to be caused by years of pollution, Ren accepts a secret mission from the government: to search for a freshwater source in the Ward, with the hope of it leading to a cure.

However, she never expects that her search will lead to dangerous encounters with a passionate young scientist; a web of deceit and lies; and an earth-shattering mystery that’s lurking deep beneath the water’s rippling surface.

Review:
Riveting, breathtaking, suspenseful, and unexpected. Jordana did an outstanding job in creating an imaginable world that you could only hope never happens.

After reading the summary of this, I was sure I knew what I was getting into. Wrong. The turn of events provided excitement and moments that make you catch your breadth. What you think is going to happen doesn't, but something better is always on the next page.

Ren, Aven, Derek, and the doctor were amazing. Their own bit of history, glimpses of who they are as people, allows you to really understand the story. Ren was by far my favorite, as she should be.  Her love, compassion, decisions, and hardships make you realize the gravity of the situation.

I could not put this down. I didn't want it to end. This world and those characters leave you wanting for more. To find out more about Ren and Aven and their journey together.




3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! I struggled a bit with the world-building but the characters were great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Christina above, I struggled a tiny bit with the world building (most the cars she raced, for some reason I just couldn't picture them at all!), but overall I really enjoyed this one. The characters were all really layered which I loved, and I can't wait to see what's in store for them moving forward! Awesome review Gabrielle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you found this so great and exciting. I want to read it so bad, but I hate waiting for sequels so maybe I can hold myself back for a little bit and not read it so soon. I'm happy you found it surprising with quite a few twists and turns. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Gabrielle:)

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!