Apr 15, 2013

Annapolis Book Festival 2013


This weekend I had the chance to go the the Annapolis Book Festival where I got to meet Jon Skovron, Jessica Spotswood, Brigid Kemmerer, and Lea Nolan. I am currently lamenting the fact that I did not take more pictures, so this will (unfortunately) be a limited pics post. I got so caught up listening and talking I forgot about my camera.

I arrived early (with my mom and sister) and immediately found Liza from Reading with ABC. Liza is an awesome girl who I've really only had the chance to chat with online, so getting to spend some quality time with her beforehand was fantastic. 

We entered the hall for the World of Fantasy in Young Adult Fiction panel. We snagged front row seats (because we're cool like that), and it wasn't long until I spotted Jen from Jenuine Cupcakes & YABC. After chatting with her, I realized we lived in the same city. Crazy. We were also joined by Stephanie from the Cuddlebuggery (another blogger I regularly chat with) and Jenn from The Bawdy Book Blog.

Jon Skovron kicked off the event as the moderator, and let me say, he was such an absolute joy to listen to. He was engaging, funny, occassionally self-deprecating, and all-around awesome. He kept things moving and even read a part of his upcoming book, Man Made Boy, which I am now desperate to read. But Jon needs to moderate more events. He was fantastic.

I had previous listened to Lea Nolan at the Baltimore Book Festival (before her debut novel, Conjure, had come out), and she is simply fantastic. Always smiling and aided by her assistant/son who called out helpful tips from the sidelines. And did I mention she has one of those voices made for reading aloud? There's something about her that makes me want to listen to her speak over and over. I'm hoping I get to see her at more events and I vow to read her novel in the next few months. It's about hoodoo (totally different from voodoo, guys) and I love books that entertain and educate.

Brigid Kemmerer spoke about her Elementals series, a personal favorite of mine. I was so excited to finally meet her in person and get a chance to chat with her. It was a shame timing didn't allow for more than a, "Hey, Brigid! I can't wait to read Spirit!" and getting
my books signed. She did, however, pick me out of the crowd and recognized me which, I'll admit, made me feel kinda special.

And lastly, but definitely not least, was Jessica Spotswood who is freaking adorable. Seriously, this girl is so cute and tiny! I loved hearing her talk about the Cahill Witch Chronicles. She was so gracious and fun. I hope I get to see her at a lot more events in the next coming months.

I feel like I should also mention that the bloggers I met and myself are all part of the YADCers group on Facebook. Basically a bunch of bloggers and authors that are in the DC/Maryland/Northern Virginia area that get together for signings and festivals founded by Andye @ Reading Teen (who was going to come, but got stuck in traffic). I adore this group. Had I not been a part of it and able to connect with bloggers in my area, I likely wouldn't have had nearly as much fun. I would've sat with my mom and sister like a bump on a pickle and not spent 30 minutes after the panel talking with these ladies. And eating Jen's cupcakes.

Point is: I highly recommend finding a group of bloggers near you (you will be shocked at how many there are) and find ways to connect and meet up. I can't wait to see these girls at upcoming events and festivals.

10 comments:

  1. It was great to see everyone too! <3 this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO fun! I'm sorry I missed this. It makes me even more excited for BEA and all the other local events coming up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for coming out to see us! It was a lot of fun and GREAT to see you again! I'm so glad you liked my reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so much fun! I'm thinking I may go to the next one on May 18th, but did you know there was two going on at the same time?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are fortunate to have so many events near us (makes me less jealous of those that live in NYC!) Awesome to meet you all and I hope we can get together often :) Oh! I'll bring brownies next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a blast meeting everyone and it was great hearing the authors read from their books. I feel like I MUST have them all now! And Hannah, thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like great fun!! And you got picked out of a crowd by Brigid Kemmerer? I would feel really special! I love her books!!!
    I can't wait for the next book in the Cahill Witch series. Sounds like the authors were awesome!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. o.O you're local! I'm in NoVA. I'll have to seek out this Facebook group you mention. :P

    Michelle @ Playing Jokers

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you had a good time!! Sounds like a lot of fun. And YAY for finding local bloggers... it's so true, that finding like-minded people to hang out with at events is the BEST. I'm lucky to have a couple where I live, and the big group of Toronto bloggers when I go to events there. =)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!