May 22, 2012

Review: When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

Title: When You Were Mine
Author: Rebecca Serle
Publisher:  Simon Pulse
Publication Date: 5.1.2012
Pages: 334
Genre: Contemporary, Retelling
Series: No
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: B

Summary (from Goodreads):
Rosaline knows that she and Rob are destined to be together. Rose has been waiting for years for Rob to kiss her—and when he finally does, it’s perfect. But then Juliet moves back to town. Juliet, who used to be Rose’s best friend. Juliet, who now inexplicably hates her. Juliet, who is gorgeous, vindictive, and a little bit crazy… and who has set her sights on Rob. He doesn’t even stand a chance.

Rose is devastated over losing Rob to Juliet. This is not how the story was supposed to go. And when rumors start swirling about Juliet’s instability, her neediness, and her threats of suicide, Rose starts to fear not only for Rob’s heart, but also for his life. Because Shakespeare may have gotten the story wrong, but we all still know how it ends…

Review:
While everyone knows the history of Romeo and Juliet, few people ever focused on Rosaline, Romeo’s ex barely mentioned in the beginning of the play. I adore the idea that Rebecca Serle came up with—modernizing one of the most infamous love stories, and then adding the twist that it’s from Rosaline’s perspective? Genius.

I enjoyed Rosaline from the beginning, and I love that she and Rob grew up as friends but are in that awkward transitional stage that most coed friendships finally culminate to: the “Should we try being a couple or just stay friends?” Of course this is where Juliet enters, and I’m sure you can connect the dots as to what happens next.

While I thought Rosaline was a great character, I grew more and more irritated with Rob (Romeo) as things progressed to the point of me not even wanting him to be with Rosaline anymore. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Juliet, because I never really felt a connection to her. There is, however, one of the best supporting casts I’ve read in a novel here. Serle does a wonderful job of not making this book only about 3 characters—she throws in others (like Len and Olivia) that really flesh out the story.

I adore the idea that Serle came up with. I am a huge fan of telling a much beloved story from a different perspective, and I felt like Serle did a great job. I can’t say there were any jaw-dropping moments that blew me away, and occasionally I felt like the story dragged a bit, but overall this was a good book that I think teens will enjoy.

22 comments:

  1. I felt the same way! I wish we saw more of Juliet and Rob's relationship so we could understand them more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah I totally feel the same way for the most part. I lovedddd the concept, I just felt like it went nowhere in a lot of ways. I guess it had to be that Rob and Rosaline weren't meant to be together, but it almost would have been more fun if they were... or at least there was more background or that the story would be changed up a bit more. Still, I did like the way the author translated the story into modern times AND made it from a totally different character's POV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This books sounds interesting!! :)
    Thank you for the review! I hope that I'll have it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Ooh! I wanna read this! And they have it for free on Pulse It this month *YAY* :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like something I might read once. Thanks for your thoughts and rating. It's always nice to discover something new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh I can't wait to read this! I'm just worried that there won't be a happy ending though! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. From your review this seems exactly like the kind of book im usually into, hope to read it this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great way to freshen the Romeo and Juliet story. Did knowing the ending detract from the story?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also think it is a really great idea to modernize this story and tell it from a different perspective. I would be interested in reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I didn't know this was a modern R&J story. Sounds interesting. Gonna have to check it out. Thanks for the good review.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intriguing. I will be picking this one up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one that sounds so beautifully sad, the cover is poignantly romantic and I'm definitely adding When You Were Mine to my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love the idea of this book, and from what I heard it's not only a good idea, but also quite an excellent execution of it that truly makes this book stand out. I can't wait to read it, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adding to my TBR List. Awesome review, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will be adding this to my trl. I love Romeno and Juliet and this sounds like an awesome retelling but with a twist. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The book sounds very interesting. I don't usually read many novels but I may make an exception for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting new twist. Thank you for sharing, I will be looking up this book,which is something I probably would not have done had I not read your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this seems like an interesting read, I keep seeing this book a lot...must add to my list

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for reminding me why I wanted to read this. Need to dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally looking forward to read this one. keeps popping up in the net =))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I heard a lot about this book then forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I plan to get a copy now that it's out. Good review and I too love that Rosaline's perspective is explored. Genius indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW. That is a great perspective. Cannot believe this idea has just been published. Thanks for your review! It was great!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!