May 2, 2012

Review: The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland

Title: The Summer My Life Began
Author: Shannon Greenland
Publisher:  Speak
Publication Date: 5.10.2012
Pages: 250
Genre: Contemporary
Series: No
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: B

Summary (from Goodreads):
Elizabeth Margaret—better known as Em—has always known what life would contain: an internship at her father’s firm, a degree from Harvard and a career as a lawyer. The only problem is that it’s not what she wants. When she gets the opportunity to get away from it all and spend a month with the aunt she never knew, she jumps at the chance. While there, Em pursues her secret dream of being a chef, and she also learns that her family has kept some significant secrets from her, too. And then there’s Cade, the laid-back local surfer boy who seems to be everything Em isn't. Naturally, she can’t resist him, and as their romance blossoms, Em feels she is living on her own terms for the first time.

Review:
This was a book I hadn’t heard of before it popped up in my mailbox, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. This book is the quintessential beach read. I kind of wish I had waiting a few months to be on the beach, letting the sun soak into my bones as I read this because I think that would have totally made the experience. As it is, Shannon Greenland has written a charming, simplistic tale of a girl finding herself (and love).

I wasn’t horribly taken with Em at first. She didn’t seem like a very strong character, but as the book progressed and I got into her head more, I started to enjoy her. Cade was by far my favorite. From the first second I read about him, I adored him. The relationship of Em and Cade is sweet; it isn’t mind-blowing fireworks, but it is still fun and enjoyable to read.

My only complaint is that the book felt a little too cliché at times. I didn’t feel like there wasn’t anything I hadn’t seen in a dozen or so other contemporaries. The details were different, but the end outcome was the same. Again, this would make for a great, lazy beach read.

The Summer My Life Began is cute, flirty, and light. Snag this one to take with you on your next vacation.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is a cute book, but I would think a younger pre teen audience would enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah!

    Daniel Cohen here. New loyal follower of your blog :) And I have a new blog if you want to stop on by!

    whyfiction.blogspot.com

    Let's be blog buddies! So glad you liked my book, btw. I'm working very hard on finishing the sequel and I think it's even better than the first!

    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to read this book! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds cute. And I'm in a need for some beach read. I'll add this to my list :)
    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!