Apr 8, 2012

Review: Masters of the Veil by Daniel Cohen

Title: Masters of the Veil
Author: Daniel Cohen
Publisher:  Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: 3.1.2012
Pages: 300
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Yes (Veil #1)
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: B+

Summary (from Goodreads):
Life can't get much better for Sam Lock. Popular, good-looking, and with a future as a professional football player. every guy at Stanton High School wishes he were Sam. That is, until his championship football game, when Sam accidentally links with an ancient source of energy known as the Veil and reveals his potential to become a powerful sorcerer. Sam is whisked off to Atlas Crown, a community of sorcerers who utilize the Veil as a part of everyday life. Once there, he trains beside a mute boy who speaks through music, an eternal sage who's the eyes and ears of the Veil, and a beautiful girl who's pretty sure Sam's an idiot. As it becomes clear Sam's meant for power magic-the most feared and misunderstood form of sorcery-people beyond Atlas Crown learn of his dangerous potential. An exiled group of power sorcerers are eager to recruit Sam, believing that he is destined to help them achieve their long-held goal. If they succeed, they could bring about the downfall of not only Atlas Crown. but all humankind.

Review:
I have to admit: This book surprised me. I honestly did not have the highest of hope for it, but Daniel Cohen pleasantly surprised me. I didn’t expect this book to suck me in the way it did. This was a fun, quick read.

I wasn’t sure I would like Sam. He’s described as cocky and self-assured, which is usually a turn off to me.  I was so happy when he was revealed to be more human than self-obsessed football jock. In fact, reading about Sam’s journey was great. Sam is strong, but he isn’t without his vulnerabilities. He also learns a lot of crucial lessons on his journey that can translate into real life and will resonate with younger readers.

I love Cohen’s imagination. The world he created just blew me away. It’s fantastical and whimsical and intense … I loved it. He gives just the right amount of detail to explain things without going overboard. The supporting characters intrigued me to no end.

I have never read Harry Potter, and I can only imagine people will draw comparisons to it because of the sorcerer angle. If Harry Potter is half as good as Masters of the Veil, maybe I should give it a shot. I can’t wait to read the rest of Cohen’s series!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!