Dec 26, 2011

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Title: Everneath
Author: Brodi Ashton
Publisher:  Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: 1.24.2012
Pages: 370
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Mythology
Series: Yes (Everneath #1)
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: A-

Summary (from Goodreads):
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

Review:
Here’s the thing: I read a synopsis and go into a book with a preconceived idea of what I’m getting myself in for. Most of the time I’m right on. Sometimes I’m disappointed, and other times I am completely surprised (in the good way). I started this book kind of disappointed but by the end was completely and totally enthralled.

I felt the beginning moved too slowly. Much like the way Nikki was slowly returning to her former life and waking up from a hundred year nightmare, the book sort of dragged and was confusing at times. Nikki seemed too wishy-washy. She came back for Jack, but she was drawn to Cole. I’m not gonna lie—I’m a girl who likes to know which couple she’s shipping early on, and this one kept me guessing. So few romantic triangles can do that anymore, and I found myself somewhat annoyed with Nikki and her inability to choose.

As the story progressed (say 1/3 of the way in), things really started to pick up. Nikki started to find who she was and stand up for herself again, and as soon as that shift happened I was hooked. Watching her come alive was exciting and thrilling. I loved the way she pined for Jack and bantered with Cole. When she decided to fight against going back to the Everneath, I fell in love with Nikki.

This is a book that is very much the first in a series. It has a rough start because Brodi Ashton is tasked with explaining a century in a few pages. Ashton had to create a new world (Everneath), beings that live in it (Everlivings), a heroine I could cheer for, and a guy I could fall for (and no, I’m not telling you which one). All in all? I’d say she succeeded with flying colors. I cannot wait for book #2! I have a feeling that one will be even better than the first.

Buy: Amazon

6 comments:

  1. The summary did raise questions for me especially about Nikki and far back was revealed in terms of her origin because she appeared to be unaware that she was an Immortal. I guess I have grab a copy. :D I'll keep a look out of it on the shelves of my fave book shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll think about buying a copy. I have a list of books in my barnesandnoble cart online already. A very good review to an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have eagerly anticipated this one. However I am scared about the beginning. Nothing drives me more crazy than bad pacing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I read this on last month and just about DIED, I love it so much... That one guy (sawooon!) that you mentioned, Nikki's fighting back... Oh man, it totally gripped me. I can't wait for the second book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Errr... I sort of liked this book. I couldn't bring myself to like such a selfish heroine. Nikki is soooo selfish. he comes back to the Surface with selfish intentions, to say goodbye to everyone, and yet all she ends up doing is hurting everyone she loved. This has nothing to do with the guys issue that EVERY young adult book HAS to have. Another love triangle?! In the true myth of Hades and Persephone, there was just Hades. And while I felt sympathy towards Jack, and didn't particularly like Cole, I think that Nikki should end up with neither boy, because she's so selfish and self-absorbed. ugh. I'll read Everbound, and Neverfall, and the third book, but I'm not sold on this trilogy, and definitely not invested enough. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!