Dec 16, 2011

Follow Friday (9)

 
Question of the Week:
When you're done reading a book, what do you do with it? (Keep it, give it away, donate it, sell it swap it...?)
 

I'm a notorious book hoarder. It's not just books I've read, but I buy books the way people buy groceries. The running joke in my family is that my room is going to fall through into the living room below me one day. In the past hardly ever got rid of books.
I've gotten better about it now. I donated a bunch of books (several boxes of children's books and adult titles that were simply collecting dust) to a couple different organizations. Since I started blogging I've made a conscious effort to swap more books. It's a great way the meet fellow bloggers and grab titles I might have missed.

I seldom lend out my books, especially the ones I know I want to keep. I've had several books ruined by family and friends. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I want my books in pristine condition. I lent a box-set series to a friend of mine and when I got them back, all the spines were broken, the box was torn, and some of the pages were dog-eared. I was furious.

When I first started getting ARCs, I got kind of insane and decided I had to keep them all since they were special. I have thankfully moved on from that. Now I swap them out when I'm done and only allow myself one shelf on my bookshelf to house ARCs.

Of course that plan will be blown out of the water when I go to BEA, but for now I'm good! ;)

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, have fun at BEA! You'll definitely come home with a lot more books!

    Here is my Follow Friday post

    Old follower =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool answer! You are a bookaholic, for sure. :) Followed you back. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, we're similar in liking to keep our books pristine! I wish I were old enough to go to BEA!!! Old follower, and thanks for stopping by :)
    Chloe @ YA Booklover Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answer. I just can't help but keep them!! hehe

    I follow!

    Here's my answer:
    http://www.bookmarkyourthoughts.com/2011/12/follow-friday-december-16th.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. new follower :)

    Great post! I have so many books on my shelf its crazy!
    Happy Friday and Check out my follow Friday!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/follow-friday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of feel the same way you used to feel about ARC's maybe I shouldn't be so attached to them lol. Awesome answer. I am a book hoarder too. But it sounds like you are way more of one than me lol. I am a New Follower. Awesome Blog name BTW. =]
    Here is My FF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I am defiantly a book hoarder, and I think we should start a support group! LOL! I am fairly new, and I have only received a few book, but I know in the near future I am going to have to work on my book hoarder ways, or open my own library!

    Old Follower

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mass majority of the books I read are still in this house. However, I have donated some & loan most I read to a friend. (I know she will take care of my books and gives them back.) I've given a stack here and there to my tribal library on the reservation, there YA section sucks!!

    Mad Scientist @ Steampunkery & Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!