Jul 16, 2011

Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma


Title: Forbidden
Author: Tabitha Suzuma
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: 6.28.2011
Pages: 464
Genre: Contemporary
Series: No

Rating: A+

Summary (from Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives--and the way they understand each other so completely--has also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.

Review:
I was never sure I would work up the nerve to read this book, and if I ever did it would be in the hidden seclusion of my room at night behind a locked door. And then if I finally dared to read it, I would never openly admit that this book has won a special place in my heart for all time.

Except that is exactly what has happened.

Forget the taboo for a moment. Forget that a brother and sister falling in love sounds like a trashy Lifetime movie of the week. What this entire story breaks down into is the story of a broken boy falling for a shattered girl, and the fact that these two people are the only ones in the world who understand one another. It literally is Lochan and Maya against the world and the fact that these two soul mates are related makes it all the more tragic.

The incest storyline aside, this story is powerful and poignant. The writing is sharp and on point, and the characters are people I fell hard and fast for. Not just Lochan and Maya, but Willa and Tiffin and Kit. I love this entire family, flaws and all.

This is hands down the most difficult review I have ever tried to write because no matter how much I loved this pairing and wanted it to work, I can’t shove aside my instinct to recoil at the subject matter. It was like two halves of me warred against each other the entire time I was reading this, which is nothing but a compliment to Tabitha Suzuma. She made me actually begin to accept something that in everyday life would repulse me, a feat few writers have been able to do.

13 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but it's really getting mixed reviews. You should read Back Roads from Twani O'Dell. That's a tough one.

    ~Christy Love of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding that to my "to-be-read" list now! Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one on my shelf and as soon as I catch up with some of my to-review books this is going to be the first one read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a lot about this book, mostly because its about a brother and sister. I'm glad you enjoyed it, so now, I'm adding it to my TBR list! I want it a lot now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Review! A+ means I definitely have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this and had the same reaction-thought I would be digusted, but I actually grew to like the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard this was a hard book to read! I want to read it read some review on it! Thank you for your honest review thanks for sharing on my to read pile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started reading this and I've been a little hesitant. I'm glad to hear that it's a really good book despite the incest issue. I can't wait to pick it up again and see why you gave it an A+.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha I love the line about the book sounding like a trashy Lifetime movie! I never even thought of that, lol!

    I loved this book as well and I felt at war with myself too! Suzuma definitely made an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to read this, thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your review :)

    I've been wanting to read this for awhile. It reminds me of Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews which I read years ago. I think the brother and sister fell in love in that book too.

    As repugnant as this relationship sounds, in the Muslim religion,marriage btwn cousins is a common and accepted practice. I am originally from India(Hindu) and the relationship btwn cousins is like siblings and therefore romantic involvement is taboo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had this book sitting on my shelf for a while. And I feel the exact same way you did before you read it. I will read it, I think I just need to prepare myself for it. I am positive I will love it, and positive it will get me so emotional. Thanks for your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had this on my TBR list for quite a while now. The subject matter is so repulsive that I dont want to even think about it but I have heard only good things about the book that it makes me atleast want to try reading it. Maybe I should get it. Sad that my library doesnt carry it because I dont really want to "own" it because I am sure I will never re-read it again but I do want to read it once!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!